On completion of the Flight Instructor Course (FIC) a pilot will have the ability to instruct a student to the level required for the issue of PPL (A), including theoretical knowledge instruction. The following are mandatory JAR pre-entry requirements:
- Hold a valid pilots licence, which includes a valid Single Engine Piston (Land) rating
- Meet the knowledge requirements for the grant of a JAR CPL (A)
- Have at least a CPL (A) or have completed at least 200 hours of flight time of which 150 hours as Pilot-in-Command if holding a PPL (A)
- Have completed at least 30 hours on Single Engine Piston powered aeroplanes of which at least 5 hours shall be in the 6 months preceding the pre-entry flight test).
- Have completed at least 10 hours instrument flight instruction of which up to 5 may be in a simulator.
- Have completed 20 hours cross-country flight time as PIC of aeroplanes including a cross country flight of 540km (300nm) with full-stop landings at two other aerodromes.
- Passed a specific pre-entry flight test within the 6 months preceding the start of the course.
Flight Instruction comprises of 30 hours of flight training of which 25 hours will be dual instruction and 5 hours will be mutual flying with another student instructor or qualified FI to practise flight demonstrations. During the dual instruction, student instructor will learn how to demonstrate all of the PPL exercises evaluate a student’s performance and correct student errors.
Flight Instruction can be carried out in a Cessna 152 or PA28 Piper Warrior. A Cessna 152 will be used however for demonstrating stalling and spinning and mutual flying. Spinning can also be undertaken in a full aerobatic Slingsby T67M260 Firefly.
The ground school comprises 125 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction. During this time a student instructor will refresh their theoretical knowledge and learn how to teach, prepare and give technical lectures and conduct pre-flight briefs.
The training comprises:
- 125 hours ground instruction
- 24 hours minimum of dual instruction in the Warrior
- 1 hours minimum of dual instruction in the Cessna 152
- 5 hours mutual instruction in the Cessna 152
The course is full time Monday to Friday and lasts between 5 and 6 weeks dependent on weather conditions. Subject to availability a part-time course may be offered. Please call to discuss.
- Option One (30 hours in a Cessna 152) £6,270
- Option Two (23 hours in a PA28 Piper Warrior plus 7 hours in a Cessna 152) £7,445